Community Development Block Grant (CDBG)
The City is now accepting applications for the 2018-19 First Time Home Buyers and Minor Home Repair Programs.
The draft 2019-20 Annual Action Plan is now available for public review and comment. The public comment period is open from Saturday, June 22, 2019 through Tuesday, July 23, 2019. The public is encouraged to review the draft plan. To submit comments on the draft Annual Action Plan, please contact Matt Wright, Senior Planner, by phone at 816-220-4504; by email at email@example.com; or by mail or in-person at 903 W Main St., Blue Springs, MO 64015.
Overview of CDBG
The United States Congress reaffirmed the nation's primary housing goal "that every American family be able to afford a decent home in a suitable environment" through the passage of the Cranston-Gonzales National Affordable Housing Act of 1990.
Goals of the Act
This Act made substantive changes to the nation's approach to providing low and moderate income families with greater opportunities toward obtaining affordable housing. The 1990 Act listed the following goals to guide the various federal housing programs covered by the Act:
- Ensure that every resident of the United States has access to decent shelter or assistance in avoiding homelessness
- Increase the Nation's supply of decent housing that is affordable to low-income and moderate-income families and increase accessibility to job opportunities
- Improve housing opportunities for all residents of the United States Help make neighborhoods safe and livable
- Expand opportunities for home ownership
- Provide every American community with a reliable, readily available supply of mortgage financing at the lowest possible interest rates
- Encourage tenant empowerment and reduce generational poverty in federally assisted and public housing by improving the means by which self-sufficiency may be achieved
CDBG Funds & Blue Springs
Beginning in 2006, the City of Blue Springs qualified as an "Entitlement Community", which means it became entitled to receive CDBG funds. The Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) awards these entitlement funds. The CDBG program is administered by Community Development Department Staff. For more information please visit the HUD CDBG Program website.
For more information contact Matt Wright, Senior Planner at (816) 220-4504 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.