We the men and women of the Blue Springs Police Department believe in an environment of teamwork to accomplish our goal. Professionalism and leadership are essential to each of our core values. The concepts that follow are a foundation for all our activities as we strive to provide service to the community of Blue Springs.
Possessing truthfulness, sincerity, faithfulness and loyalty and demonstrating them as a way of life is essential.
- Officers demonstrate it consistently when adhering to our code of conduct.
We must have the ability to confront difficult or dangerous situations in a moral and ethical manner.
- Courage is not the absence of fear but it is continuing to do what is right in the face of fear.
Attitude is a reflection of the way you feel about yourself and choosing a positive response.
- It shows when you face small changes in your duties and how you deal with corrective criticism.
- Having a consistent positive attitude will be recognized.
Consistently demonstrating respect, thoughtfulness, empathy and understanding towards others.
- Compassion for victims, bystanders and suspects is important.
- Putting the needs of others in high regard in the midst of chaos makes all the difference.
The ability to accurately convey information as well as listen to others is a hallmark of effective communication. Communication is the multidirectional link that keeps us working together efficiently.
Members of the Blue Springs Police Department accept that we are responsible for our actions.
- We arrive on time prepared for work, giving attention to detail.
- We maintain a professional appearance and fitness level.
- We seek to balance the needs and concerns of the community with our own.
The process of keeping yourself and others free from harm through planning, awareness, training and follow up procedures.
- By adopting safe procedures and having an awareness of risk we will provide the highest level of safety for employees and the public possible.
- We will watch for potentially unsafe acts and intervene in a positive way to prevent injury or loss.
Training, Education, Knowledge
We use a continuous process to develop skills and abilities through training and education. This will benefit the department and the community.
- We provide educational promgrams to the community to increase understanding of the police profession and strengthen our relationship.
- We will create an organized and defensible training program that builds the proper skills to perform our duties.
- Our crime prevention programs will assist the community in securing their own safety.
Department leadership is expected to defend the appropriate actions of employees and address improper behavior in the department.
- Employees receive public praise frequently. Fair discipline is done in private in a timely manner.
- An atmosphere that encourages new ideas and the opportunity to try them exists.
A conscious commitment to work together toward a common objective achieves results. Effective communication is an essential ingredient of successful teamwork.
- Rumors are destructive.
- Multiple services at a scene must be well coordinated.