Right-of-way Permitting - Effective October 5, 2015

What is​ the Right-of-Way?
Right-of-way is property owned by the City of Blue Springs to which the public generally has a right to access and use.  Right of way contains facilities such as roads, alleys, utilities, and other public infrastructure.  Although right of way is owned by the City of Blue Springs, maintenance of yards within the right-of-way (e.g. mowing, weed control, etc.) is the responsibility of the abutting property owner.  The City of Blue Springs has the right to use and regulate what happens in right-of-way.  For example, unapproved signs, sight obstructions, and basketball goals are not allowed.  Sidewalks are usually placed in the right-of-way for safe passage of pedestrian traffic.

The right-of-way generally extends 11 feet from the back of curb or edge of street pavement towards the adjacent property in residential areas.  Larger roadways may have larger right-of-way areas.  To determine the actual right of way limits on a particular property you will need to check property records and/or have the property surveyed.

Right-of-Way/Temporary Traffic Control Permitting
A permit must be obtained prior to any work being performed in the right-of-way.  This does not include mailbox installation/repair or vegetation maintenance.  This work may include, but is not limited to, replacing a sidewalk, curb, driveway, driveway culvert, plumbing or other repairs. If you are considering work within public rights-of-way there are some things you need to know:

For the Homeowner

For the Utility Company/Contractor


Not Applicable

All right-of-way users who do not possess a franchise or other written consent to use the right-of-way approved by the City Council must register by October 16, 2015.  Registration can be completed by clicking here, or via walk-in at the Engineering Division of Public Works located at 903 W. Main Street, Blue Springs, MO 64015.  Registration generally involves the following:

  • Providing contact information
  • Providing company information
  • Providing insurance information
  • If applicable, providing franchise agreement information
  • Obtaining a City of Blue Springs business license
  • Certification of good standing with the Missouri Secretary of State

Liability Insurance

No liability insurance will be required of any residential property owner excavating or working in the rights-of-way adjacent to his/her residence who does not utilize a contractor to perform the excavation or work and who does not require a temporary traffic control permit. However, said residential property owner shall be required to demonstrate proof of a homeowner's policy with coverage and limits acceptable to the Director.

Liability insurance and bonding is required unless the right-of-way user has twenty-five million dollars ($25,000,000) in net assets and does not have a history of non-compliance.

 GIS Shapefiles
 Not applicable Electronic GIS shape files shall be provided when new facilities are installed

2. Rights-of-way permit applications can be completed by clicking here, or via walk-in at the Engineering Division of Public Works located at 903 W. Main Street, Blue Springs, MO 64015.
    • Permit applications are required to be submitted ten (10) days in advance of  installing new facilities requiring detailed plans and two (2) days for normal repairs and adjustments. If any of the work shall require a road or significant lane closure then a minimum of ten (10) days is required for public notification.
    • The right-of-way permit application generally involves the following:
      • Applicant information
      • Location and description of the work to be performed
      • Work schedule
      • Excavation information
3. Cost for a right-of-way/temporary traffic control permit will be $125 for every 660 feet of roadway impacted.
    • Additionally, street cuts will require a $1,500 deposit, of which all but $20 will be refunded upon completion of the repairs meeting the City of Blue Springs requirements.  Restoration requirements can be found in the City of Blue Springs Design and Construction Manual located at http://www.bluespringsgov.com/1349/Design-Construction-Manual.
4. Work on artificial surfaces such as roads and sidewalks shall be guaranteed for a period of forty-eight (48) months, plant covering and landscaping shall be guaranteed for a period of twenty-four (24) months.  The guarantee shall be provided in the form of a bond.

5. Right-of-way/temporary traffic control permits are valid for sixty (60) days and can be extended for another sixty (60) days upon request at no additional cost.

6. The cost for a right-of-way/temporary traffic control permit is $125 and 48 hours’ notice is required for work in the right-of-way and ten (10) business days’ notice is required for a temporary lane or street closure.
    • Non-emergency temporary traffic control shall not be performed before 9:00 a.m. and after 4:00 p.m. on arterial and collector streets. Non-emergency work on all other streets shall be performed between 6:00 a.m. and 10:00 p.m.
    • The temporary traffic control permit generally includes the following:
      • Reason for temporary traffic control
      • Start and end dates, and hours traffic will be impacted
      • A traffic control plan meeting the requirements of the Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices along with a proposed detour route, if necessary, shall be submitted with the temporary traffic control permit application.
7. Violations of the right-of-way management code provisions will result in fines ranging between $200 and $500 for each day of violation in addition to the amount necessary to restore the public right-of-way.


Use and Management of City Rights-of-Way Ordinance
Utility and Telecommunication Application 
ROW/Traffic Control Permit Application Form
Horizontal Directional Drilling Guidelines