The backup of sewage through the drains in your home or business is an unpleasant experience. Documentation has shown the majority of sewer back ups are related to the private service lines serving the property. Fortunately, there are steps you can take to protect your property.
- Locate and keep accessible the sewer clean out. If you do not have a clean out, have one installed by a plumber. The clean out is the property owner’s responsibility.
- Check your homeowner’s insurance policy. If you are not covered for back-ups, call your agent for information on costs and coverage options. If you experience a back-up, save all receipts related to any repair, cleaning, or damages.
- Put diapers or sanitary napkins in the toilet
- Dispose of grease down the drain
- Plant trees near sewer lines
- Connect any drains or sump pumps to the sewer system